You are hereMission Statement of Local 1776 / 2014 Young Members' Internship Program
2014 Young Members' Internship Program
UFCW Local 1776’s Young Members' Internship Program is a paid eight-week educational internship running from June 9, 2014 to August 1, 2014. The internship is designed to reach out to our union members age 18 to 30 in an effort to:
1) Engage, involve, and develop skills in the program’s participants that might one day produce future activists who are committed to uniting workers, students, and community activists to bring about social justice in the workplace and in our communities.
2) Help rebuild and grow the labor movement.
What kinds of activities are the interns involved in during their internship?
• The first week involves intensive orientation and training, including an overall synopsis of the entire program.
• After the orientation and training, interns are placed in key areas of the Local for various activities, including Organizing/Field Services, Servicing, Legislative and Political Department, etc.
• Some of the activities that the interns are involved in include:
1. Assisting in building coalitions between community organizations;
2. Educating the public or rallying support on workers’ rights;
3. Canvassing neighborhoods about issues that are important to working people, including preventing the privatization of the PA Wine and Spirits Stores;
4. Working on organizing campaigns, including home visits with workers;
5. Picket and information lines;
6. Meeting with elected officials to promote issues of importance to working people; and,
7. PAC sign-ups.
What qualifications are needed?
• Participants should be people-oriented, energetic, flexible, and willing to work long hours on a sometimes unpredictable schedule.
• A college degree is NOT required.
• Participants need their own transportation with a valid driver’s license. License and proof of insurance must be present at time of interview.
• Must be 18 to 30 years old.
Do interns get paid?
• Interns receive a weekly stipend, in addition to work-related expenses.
How Do I Get More Information?
Writing to UFCW Local 1776, Attn: Membership Services Dept., 3031-A Walton Rd, Suite 201, Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
Calling toll-free 1-866-329-1776 ext. 822
Faxing to: 610- 941-9525
|2014 Internship Flyer.pdf||334.5 KB|
|Internship Application.pdf||195.77 KB|