Sign up to be an active member of Local 1776 KS and help with campaigns that benefit working families!
Your fellow UFCW 1776KS members need your help!
Posted On: May 13, 2019
To all UFCW Local 1776 Keystone State Members:
Your fellow UFCW 1776KS members who work for the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB) at PA's Fine Wine and Good Spirits stores need your help!
Last week, the Pennsylvania House of Representatives advanced legislation that would privatize the jobs of your brothers and sisters who work at PA's Fine Wine and Good Spirits stores. Legislators in Harrisburg are determined to eliminate these family-sustaining jobs so that their corporate donors can control the sale of alcohol rather than the well-trained employees we represent at the PLCB. The bill that moved this week is House Bill 1346, a privatization bill designed to eliminate our members' jobs.
Here are some facts you should know about the PLCB:
* The PLCB contributed over $750 million back to Pennsylvania taxpayers; revenue that would be lost if the PLCB were to be privatized.
* The PLCB employs 5,000 Pennsylvanians, all with family-sustaining jobs right here in PA. All privatization proposals would lead to the elimination of those jobs and leave the taxpayers on the hook for unemployment compensation for those employees.
* The Fine Wine and Good Spirits stores - where our members work - have a great selection, competitive pricing, and brand new Premium Collection stores that are meeting the needs of consumers in every region of Pennsylvania.
* Our members at the Fine Wine and Good Spirits stores do the best job in the nation of keeping alcohol out of the hands of minors - they complete over 1 million ID checks each and every year.
* Any privatization bill would reduce state revenues (revenues that go towards our public schools and other state services), eliminate family-sustaining jobs, reduce the selection of wine and spirits products, increase prices, and increase the sale of alcohol to underage persons.
We need YOU to contact your State Representative today and ask them to OPPOSE House Bill 1346 and all liquor privatization bills.
To find out who your State Representative is, please visit https://www.ufcw1776.org/legislator.
Thank you for your help. I am proud to represent you. Your fellow UFCW 1776KS members appreciate your help in supporting their jobs.